IWI is an organization dedicated to providing friendship, growth and support for women in the Indianapolis metropolitan area. We are particularly focused on assisting those new to the area whether from another state or another country.
We have a dynamic and multi-faceted set of activities and events that provide social interaction and intellectual stimulation. Most importantly with about 250 members, representing about 50 countries, there is a great chance you will be able to find some people to connect with! All of us are generous and kind and have a real interest in making new members feel welcome. It is a priority for us.
- Does meeting women from every continent sounds like fun to you?
- Would you be interested in having a multitude of recreational and social options?
- Would you like to learn more about others and their culture?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then we are THE organization for you. IWI would be proud to welcome you as a new member.
The purposes of IWI are:
- To facilitate social interaction among women from the United States and other countries
- To provide a support group for women as they arrive in Indiana from outside the United States or from another state
- To promote and encourage cultural understanding among members and the communities in which they resides.
A 1990 report on the city of Indianapolis mentioned the need for a club to welcome and support foreign nationals to help them meet other newcomers and Americans, as well as to help them settle quickly into life in Indiana. A board member from the Indiana International Council invited a group of women to join her on the steering committee to consider creating a new organization in Indianapolis for women from around the world. From this event the International Women’s Club of Indiana was born, and the membership flourished into a vibrant organization. In May 1992, the membership voted to become independent from the Indiana International Council and became the Association of International Women (AIW). To date the AIW has had 21 presidents representing 14 countries.
IWI Board welcomes youAll board members are volunteers with one-year terms. We also have assistant and committee positions, where you can learn more about our organization and further develop your leadership skills. Please contact the President if you are interested in serving in a board or committee position.
Want to know about the IWI Board? click