Who we are
We are a social, recreational and educational group of more than 260 women from 50 countries. We provide support and friendship to women as they arrive here from other countries or states. We share our backgrounds, cultures and traditions. We develop international friendships, learn about each other, and celebrate cultural diversity. Everyone is welcome, whether they are new to the greater Indianapolis area or have lived here many years. We welcome women of all nationalities. Most of all, we have fun.
The purposes of the AIW are:
- To facilitate social interaction among women from the United States and other countries
- To provide a support group for women as they arrive in Indiana from outside the United States or from another state
- To promote and encourage cultural understanding among members and the communities in which they reside.
The small group of wise women who gathered together under Honorary Member Susan McKee’s leadership in 1990 to establish our organization established sound principles for a healthy organization which have stood the test of time:
- All memberships are equal – no ‘associate’ or ‘full’
- Anyone can join – no nomination or approval process is required
- Focus is in on the woman herself (some international women organizations require spouse employer
- Fundraising is not pursued by intention (newly arriving international women face many other significant issues); friendship and support are seen as more important areas to be encouraged.
- All nationalities are welcomed including Americans. The warm bonds of friendship between international and American women are essential.
- Intercultural understanding and learning are core values
- Enjoyable activities are offered across a range of areas
- Language conversation is offered in English and other languages.